Monday, July 19, 2010

RossiniRossiniRossiniRossini...

Probably Rossini's favourite musical sign. Haha!

I'm a huge fan of mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato. No, really. I'm a HUGE fan. I want to be like this woman so much. I own ever CD she ever recorded and I literally cried when I couldn't make it to her performance as Rosina in the LA Opera's production of The Barber of Seville. I'm still really bummed I couldn't go...

But anyways! She's also brilliant when it comes to photography and has a link to her flickr page on her blog (and yes, her blog is seriously titled Yankeediva. Isn't it awesome??). Midst the beautiful pictures of European architecture and gorgeous red and gold performance halls, I came across a low-key picture in her gratitude album.

The picture is of a quote said by one of the stage directors at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, Thor Steingraber. Someone had typed it up and posted on a bulletin board in the rehearsal department. The quote was this:

"I'd like Rossini better if there were more repetition."

I quite literally laughed out loud at this! Rossini is the king of repetition. Hands down. I'm sure the cast members of our Spring opera production La Cambiale di Matrimonio would all agree with me on this. It's not enough that he loads his music with tongue twistery words from the libretto; he makes us sing it over and over again, faster and faster with more spunk that we knew we had in us!

I think this is one of the great beauties of Rossini. He challenges us to be creative. We, as singers, are forced to come up with something new, different and exciting each time a musical theme or the same words are repeated again and again. We're forced to look beyond the external, seemingly mundane repetition and figure out why our characters would say it more than once.

The best Rossini singers know how to make every repetition count-- how to make each one special and meaningful. There's nothing more frustrating when I'm listening to a recording or watching a performance than a singer who just trudges through the repeats like a kid being forced to eat his/her peas and broccoli. It really shouldn't sound like a chore!

Rossini is a joy and a true privilege to sing. "Medicine for the voice" as the late and great Beverley Sills once said about Bel Canto. I'm constantly reminded when I listen to great Bel Canto singers such as Beverly Sills, Joan Sutherland, Juan Diego Florez and Joyce DiDonato that we must savour every word and phrase and make each of them a little gem of their own!

P.S. Puccini might have hated mezzos but Rossini actually preferred mezzos over sopranos. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment